A ‘health scare’ can be exactly what it says it is: that frightening, unsettling time when you know something’s wrong with your health, but you’re not sure what. Very often it can happen when routine tests at your GP Surgery pick up on a health issue, but further tests are needed to find out more, and those can take time. It can be an agonising wait (we’re not called ‘patients’ for nothing!) and whilst NHS screening programmes are very good, Doctors don’t always have the time to talk to give you the reassurance you need.
How To Deal With A Health Scare
If you haven’t already experienced a health scare, there’s a chance that you might at some point in the future, so it’s good to know what to do. Here are some ideas that will help you feel more comfortable:
- Be really gentle with yourself. However you feel is normal, natural and perfectly ok, but do talk to someone if you need to offload. If you have any questions for your Doctor, write them down and speak to them.
- Remember that your body loves you and wants you to be well. When you appreciate that your body and mind are actually trying to help you, you can see your situation from a calmer, more loving perspective. Start finding out what you need in order to begin recovery. You don’t need to wait until you have a formal diagnosis, but getting the right information can be tricky particularly if you’re not thinking straight. That’s why it’s best to speak to a trusted Medical Herbalist, Naturopath or Nutritional Therapist for help as soon as you know something’s wrong.
- Look for the message. Your mind is using illness to draw attention to something that needs to be addressed, and it uses a very specific language to do this. A good naturopathic practitioner will be able to help you interpret this in depth, but in the meantime, sit down quietly and think about all the different areas of your life one at a time. Be very honest with yourself about how happy you are with each one. If you find any which are making you unhappy in some way, that’s where to start looking for ways forward.
- Take action now. It may not feel like it, but you are in total control over what’s going on. Something has changed the terrain of your body and you’ll feel better if you can start changing it back towards health right now. By starting sooner rather than later, you’ll also have a head start once you know what your diagnosis is.
- If you have particular reason to believe that you have a serious illness, start looking at how you can make your life easier should you need treatment. Once you have a diagnosis, treatment usually starts very soon afterwards and that combined with the shock can make daily life harder to manage. Start putting measures in place to make daily life easier now, so that whatever happens you’ll have a cleaner slate to begin with.
Where To Get Help If You’re In A Health Scare
If you’re going through a health scare right now, it’s important to get the support you need. Surround yourself with people who’ve help you stay positive. especially if they’ve had a similar experience, or get in touch now and tell me about what’s going on for you.